Disclaimer

So, this is my Blog, my thoughts / feelings / ideas. You may comment if you like. If you attack me, I come back at you with reckless / racist / suicidal abandon. If you compliment me, I thank you. If you don't ever visit again I don't care. Other than that, just enjoy what I write, or not.
Salagatle!


LIU - Look It Up!

LIU
-->

Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Blues

Got up this morning at 5.30am, as usual, and had an intense feeling of wastefulness! Yup, a big word, open ended, so let me explain.


As previously posted I am not happy at my current place of employment, and as previously posted, being a middle aged white male living in (South) Africa, I don't have too many options with regards finding alternative employment. I have been working on another opportunity, but till the prospective employer can afford to pay me my current salary (as a minimum) I'm not going anywhere.
 
Anyway, getting up this am I was as despondent as I am ever going to get. I knew I was going through the usual motions, going to drive to the office, and wasting another day / week, chasing opportunities that are way out there - very little chance of closing, and doing the mountains of internal process stuff which takes up probably 60% of our time anyway. A total waste of time. All I have to look forward to really s that Monday is just 4 days away from the weekend. Problem with that is that I am just wishing my life away, living from weekend to weekend, with no real relief or satisfaction (job wise) in view!
 

Typically, today's meeting was more of the same. Show management what you have in hand, tell him what he wants to hear with regards opportunity progression, give him the usual excuses of why it's progressing slowly / not at all, and move on.

 

The rest of the sales team seem to be in much the same space as I am, just that one has a longer list of opportunities (also going nowhere) and the other is floundering under the process.















A little off target is the understatement of the year. However, the target referred to is a major thumb suck anyway, so are we really off from a market sizing point of view? Probably yes, but then it is a competitive space (even if "we" like to believe we are the best), and pricing is a big decider - and we don't seem to know / care about that aspect!

So what's to be done? Well, nothing more than I have been doing I suppose, other than  maybe try and get the "account managers" (there is a contradiction in terms in there somewhere) to make more contact with their clients re the services I sell, and get me in there to sell it!




The other problem we (I) face is that we get told to go out and sell a specific product. When it's something "new to the market" I'm usually quick off the mark, generate interest very quickly, and then don't get the support to complete and provide a proposal. In one case, recently, 4 months later we got told that our company was not going to make the required investment to be able to provide the service,
and in another, they were renaming / changing the offering - which meant I had to go back to each client and tell them that we couldn't put a price / proposal on the table. Nice, makes me look like I really know my stuff!!
 

 So, overall I got up not feeling to excited about getting out there and doing what I do. If only I had..... If only I could..... Damn, I'm not getting enough sleep as it is because of this situation, now I'm getting depressed about it?!?!?

Keep looking to get the "other" business line up and running to where it can afford me.
Anyone out there need a shit processing machine?
Salagatle!

No comments: