On Saturday, eventually, I bought the last required boards for the kids wall unit. It's for the back of the unit.
I had them precut at the store, (for free) and got them home. The kids were horrified at the prospect of having to varnish these massive boards. So, I pulled out the electric spray gun. I bought this thing in 1988 (it says so on the box) and have never used it. Read the instructions, filled the pot with varnish, added some thinners (to taste hehehe) and sprayed. It was not a total success, as the varnish started to run a bit, but then I quickly spread it around with a paintbrush. Placed outside to wind dry, and then board 2, and then 3.
Bring back in for a second coat, spread with paintbrush, and viola, 3 varnished boards in 30 minutes!!
I must say that once they had dried overnight, they looked damn fine. In fact they have more of a grain finish, and it looks great.
So tonight / tomorrow night we will put them into place, and I'll post a pic of the finished product. Must say we did a good job.
The next project is my bar. Watch this space.