Disclaimer

So, this is my Blog, my thoughts / feelings / ideas. You may comment if you like. If you attack me, I come back at you with reckless / racist / suicidal abandon. If you compliment me, I thank you. If you don't ever visit again I don't care. Other than that, just enjoy what I write, or not.
Salagatle!


LIU - Look It Up!

LIU
-->

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Micro Management - FUCK YOU! Part 1.

So, due to fall in sales (for whatever reasons - I will get to that) management decided that every morning we would have to call in for a status review. Every morning at 7.15 am.!
I know the reasoning is "Cause we can", butdecided to go along with it initially, to see if there would be value add to helping me close out on some deals! (yea right, ike that was ever going to be the case).
So every morning, at 7.15, I called in. My manager (and her manager) would be on the call. She would work through each of my current opportunities, ask what had changed since yesterday (i.e. what I had done on them) and what I planned to do today. What I planned to do would then be noted as the "deliverable" for tomorrow mornings meeting / call.
Needless to say, there was no value add. Comments like "You must call them today", but you said yesterday you would" and "please email them" or "Go and sit in their reception till you see him..." were the norm. Now, I've been doing this shit for many, many years. I don't need a manager to tell me to call my client, or email him some information. I do that shit anyway. What I do need is for my manager to say "Oh, so the solutions guy / pricing lady / QA people / Legal Rep. has not yet done their stuff, let me give them a call". But no, it's "So give them a call and see where they are with this?" But I called them yesterday, and they said it would be 2 days..... Yes, I know, but call them anyway........ ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!?!?

Most mornings I took the call on the deck, whilst I had a smoke. Some I took indoors as it was too clod out. On these indoor occasions, the Princess was privvy to the conversation, as I always use my cellphone on loudspeaker, so I can put it down on the table whilst I chat.

You need to be there to see her reaction to the quality of "assistance" I get fro my manager. In fact, she's convinced the manager is a retarded morong (Funny how she could be spot on without ever having met her!)

So this morning I got up and decided - Fuck it! I'm not going to call in. And didn't. At 7.23 am my phone rang. I ignored it.

I got to the office at about 8.20. Got a call from my manager at about 9 am. She assumed that I was not on the call cause I was ill. I corrected her and said No, I was not on the call cause I don't want to have to go through a useless micro management call in my family time. If you have to do this, I will be available between 8am and 4pm, Mondays to Fridays. If this is a problem, we can discuss it. End of conversation.

She eventually got to the office after 10 am (or was it after 10.30?). Didn't even greet me, but hey, that's par for the course, and if she does not greet me, I don't have to greet her, which suits me.
So, whilst I was outside smoking, she came out too. Said she was not ignoring me, but had to make some calls, and would meet with me at about 12 midday. I assume it's to discuss my decision.
So, I'm parking this blog for now, and will continue with it after we have met.

Salagatle!

2 comments:

Fishman said...

Had the same thing a while back. I had to call in whenever I arrived and left a customer! Told them very politely to fuck off!

Divemaster GranDad said...

Auto-bureaucratic bollox...that's what it is...and it's getting worse. Eventually they'll be micro-managing the number of sheets of toilet paper you're allowed to use when you go for a dump..."how many did you use?", "did you wash them after you used them?", "did you hang them up to dry so that the next person can go for his/her dump between 07h08 and 07h10?"........bollox.


WV = table (I wonder that that means?)