Disclaimer

So, this is my Blog, my thoughts / feelings / ideas. You may comment if you like. If you attack me, I come back at you with reckless / racist / suicidal abandon. If you compliment me, I thank you. If you don't ever visit again I don't care. Other than that, just enjoy what I write, or not.
Salagatle!


LIU - Look It Up!

LIU
-->

Monday, January 01, 2007

2006 vacation

Xmas 2005 - Came and went with the usual "extended family" related stuff. And I was not having anymore of it. So plans were put in place for us to be away on vacation for Xmas 2006.

Richards Bay - Industrial city - home to some major industry, the biggest coal export harbour in the southern hemisphere (if not the world now, with their latest extension), fishermans paradise, what with access to the waters further up the North coast, with an average temperature of 35deg C in summer, and a discomfort factor (humidity) of anything upto 7deg C!

Oh, and as it happens, where my brother lives!!!!!

So, 21st Dec we are off to the Bay. 700km, and it was a doddle. The new (secondhand like new) VW Kombi TDI is a pleasure to drive on the long road, and the Princess even chips in for a couple of hundred kilos. We are there by midday.

On the Saturday my bro had arranged for me and him to go deep sea fishing with a mate of his from work. What a blast. Didn't catch any big one's on the trawl, but hammered the fish on bottom fishing. We got our bag quota in about 20 minutes of bottom fishing. Then back on the trawl again, upto 25 km off shore (damn that's far), but no luck. By 12.30 (midday) we were back on shore, and washing the boat and cleaning fish. Great morning!

Much time was spent in his pool, and taking the kids to the beach, and just resting and not doing much, and playing poker at night. Bliss, no work, sleep whan you want to, get up if you want to, eat whenever. A real holiday for a change.

Xmas came and went, but was a more fun event this time round. It's just like that when you are in the right company.

A week before we went down I had found a cheap second hand on/off road scrambler for sale down in his area, so he'd gone out to look at it, and bought it as a surprise for my kids (from me). Xmas morning, after church, we assembled the whole family in front of the garage, on the pretence of having a surprise gift in there for the Princess, and then opened the doors. Their jaws almost fell off!!!!

Later that day, for an hour or more they rode around the circle in front of my bro's home, staying in first and second gear. They had quickly learned to pull away without stalling. An hour of this, coupled with the 40 deg C heat, and the bike had a heat sieze!!! That was that. Park it. We'll get it to a shop for repairs when we get back to JHB. Shame, pity.

Anyway, as usual, all good things come to an end, and on the 30th we drove back home. Sorry to be going back cause it means the vacation is just about done, but also glad to be going to cooler climates. We were really spoilt by my brother and his family. A great time was had by all.
I will relate some of our other experiances in other bloggs.
Salagatle!

No comments: