So, the fix was to build some retaining walls, back fill, and then throw a slab. Plus, LuckyL now has a car, and we have a "Venter" trailer, and the bike trailer (Parked here by a mate who does not have space for it), and 2 x XR200 Honda off-road bikes..
So, I mark out the proposed walling, and the foundations dig starts.
|One by Zimbabwean laborer (with work permit) doing the digging.|
As is usual with these kind of jobs, you add on, make changes as you go along. So I had them dig an extra foundation for a low (1 - 3 brick high) wall. After pouring a slab on that, we would have a place to park the 2 x Honda's, and park the wheelbarrows, out of site, safe, and clean.
Then pouring the foundations. Amazing how much cement this consumes. I will list the total materials list later.
We also had to accommodate a ramp, so that a) the bikes could be taken up and down, and the lawnmower needs to get to the lawn, and then back up to the lockup.
|So a foundation for a wall that will form the side of the ramp.|
|Aerial view of the planned lower slab, for the bikes and wheel barrows and stuff.|
The finished product:-
|Bike trailer parking|
|Ramp and bottom slab|
|Overview of the finished area!|
|Ball on the wall|
|Trailer, hooked up and secure, oh, and it tucks nicely behind the wall too!|
This is much simpler, narrow and shallow foundations for a 2 - 4 brick high single brick walls. Except for the corner unit, where I want to put a 5000lt Jo-Jo to catch up rainwater. There we going to pour a 100mm slab. For the rest, depending on how much building material I have left, 50 mm slab, or no slab. In that case I'm going to have some good soil delivered, and create vegetable gardens! Watch this space!!
|2 Of the smaller "boxes" in front. The bigger "corner unit" for the Jo-JO is seen top right of the pic.|
So what did I have to buy?
1000 stock bricks. Do you know they now cost ZAR1.00 each (delivered)?
4m3 of concrete mix (That's stone and sand mixed)
2m3 of plaster sand
2m3 of building sand
64 bags cement
4m3 of unsifted building sand for filling (compacts very very well).
Needless to say the calculations were wrong. But after phase II of the project I have finished the bricks, including about 800 I had here left over for the original house build.
We have finished the building sand. The plaster sand that's left, maybe 2 wheelbarrows full will be used to finish the back fill of the corner unit. And there is just about enough building mix for the 2 proposed slabs. Oh, and now only 5 bags of cement.
Labour for phase I - ZAR 9,500
Materials total - ZAr 10,000
Labour phase II - ZAR 1,000 to date. Probaly another ZAR 600 or so to go.
After this, I don't think we will be doing any building work here for a while.