Disclaimer

So, this is my Blog, my thoughts / feelings / ideas. You may comment if you like. If you attack me, I come back at you with reckless / racist / suicidal abandon. If you compliment me, I thank you. If you don't ever visit again I don't care. Other than that, just enjoy what I write, or not.
Salagatle!


LIU - Look It Up!

LIU
-->

Friday, January 14, 2011

From the Aussies

Further to my mates email telling us not to worry, he followed up with this:-

Hi folks, just to let you know we're through it all, safe. Fortunately for
us it was a non-event. Just in case, I set up the camera yesterday and took
some shots during the course of the day, to show the water levels. Don't
fall asleep while watching. It was an almost surreal experience, with the
sun shining for the first full day since mid-December, yet flooding taking
place in the areas around us. We have been glued to the TV basically to
ensure there are no new warnings, as well as staring in disbelief at some of
the events unfolding during the course of the day.

Now the clean-up starts which is being referred to as the equivalent of
post-war.

Over 75% of Queensland is now an official disaster zone, the Brisbane CBD is
shut down for the foreseeable future. Power outages, concerns about clean
water and water-borne disease, etc. For the International readers,
Queensland is 30% larger than South Africa, nearly six times the size of the
UK, and more than twice the size of Texas.

One of my work colleagues who lives in the city took this footage -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyAN2St7gYE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL -

the cream-colored building with the larger square windows dotted around the
face of the building is where my offices are, which will be unreachable for
a while. I don't want to think what the basement parking looks like!

Anyways, glad we're all safe and will be looking to see how we can help with
the post-disaster relief.



Glad u r all safe! Chat soon!!!

Salagatle!

No comments: