Disclaimer

So, this is my Blog, my thoughts / feelings / ideas. You may comment if you like. If you attack me, I come back at you with reckless / racist / suicidal abandon. If you compliment me, I thank you. If you don't ever visit again I don't care. Other than that, just enjoy what I write, or not.
Salagatle!


LIU - Look It Up!

LIU
-->

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The bar

View of the bar top from the deck, just to give you an idea of the shape.
Here you can see the problem I have....

Ok then, all you clever woodworking types out there.

I need advice. I filled all the not so tight joints, and some holes and chips and stuff with Oregon Pine coloured woodfiller. As long as the top was not varnished, it seemed to match ok. As soon as I varnished the top (clear varnish) not only did the deep colour come out beautifully, but the wood filled shows up yellow! Now what? Do I sand down the offending areas and try to stain the woodfiller parts to match, or do I dig out the wood filler and redo it with a darker option?
Salagatle!

2 comments:

Fishman said...

1) Do the joints correctly!
2) Do the joints correctly!
3) A Little bit off of filler!

Recommendation, Dig out the filler and look for a darker one, Test it first on a piece of offcut. Judging by the color try, Mahogany. If that fails Redo the joints. The reason for your color contrast is that the old wood was not taken down to raw wood. You can still see stains from previous coats.(Look at the routed part) If that fails buy Brass strips and fit it over the joints. Next time make sure that the usable side is facing down on your table saw, that is why you have break away(chipped) edges on your cut.

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

Damn brother, I knew I should have got you involved. However, I didn't want to take it down to the raw wood, as I wanted the "old" look.
Digging out the filler is probably the way I'll go. redoing the joints.... hey, thats a lot of work....
Salagatle!